Get More Shoulder Rotation With This Exercise From Pleasantview Physiotherapy
A lot of times, athletes who throw over-hand, volleyball players, and lifters who work over their heads have decreased mobility in their shoulders. Sometimes, you can feel pain and tightness when working over your head. If you do, this stretching exercise can make a huge difference in how you feel.
This exercise will stretch out your shoulder capsular, the muscle that gives you rotation in your shoulder. All you need is an exercise band attached to a firm surface about shoulder height.
1. This picture shows how to tell if you need to work on your shoulder capsular. Here, Ann’s left arm is more flexible than her right, so we’ll have her work on her right shoulder first.
2. Attach the exercise band to a sturdy surface, and place the other end around your arm at the shoulder. Make sure you place the band on the head of the humorous, and not on the other side of this bump on your shoulder.
3. You want to make sure the band is on the round part of your shoulder, not inside.
4. Take a few strides forward to put tension on the exercise band and pressure on your shoulder.
5. Slowly raise your arm behind your back as far up as you can.
6. Bring your arm back down in front of your body with slow, measured control.
7. You may need to hold the band onto your shoulder to keep it from slipping off during this stretch.
8. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for about 2 minutes on each side.
9. Using this technique, stretch each shoulder for 2 minutes a day, every other day.
If you feel any pain or discomfort lifting overhead, this exercise will greatly reduce it. You’ll be pleasantly surprised how quickly doing this stretching exercise can help increase your shoulder’s mobility, too.
Contact Pleasantview Physiotherapy today to schedule an appointment with a physiotherapist to see how simple exercises like shoulder capsular stretches can help you reduce pain and enjoy your life more.