Do your feet get tired easily? Do they feel sore and achy after standing on them for a while? Do you also have back and leg pain? You may have fallen arches.
Your Abductor Hallucis muscles (your arches) are important for retaining your arch height, and strengthening them can relieve some of your symptoms. Here’s a simple exercise you can do almost anywhere to strengthen these muscles and improve your arches.
1. Begin with your feet in a neutral position facing forward. Pointing your foot where you’re going is the foot position that works best for this exercise.
2. Tighten your glutes up a little bit.
3. Then try to keep the base of your big toe and little toe on the ground as you begin the exercise.
4. Very subtly try to lift your arch up off the floor without letting those toes come off the floor.
5. You may not notice much at first, but repeatedly working your Abductor Hallucis muscles in this way increasingly lifts your arch higher over time, which is what you want.
6. Try to lift as high as you can and hold it for 5 seconds.
7. Do anywhere between 10 and 20 of these exercises whenever you get a chance during the day.
Physical therapy is a great way to naturally manage your symptoms and relieve any pain and discomfort you’re experiencing. Pleasantview Physiotherapy Clinic is here to help you move past your pain and enjoy life to the fullest.
Contact us today to schedule a session with a licensed physical therapist and get started on the road to recovery.