Recovery for Work-Related Injuries
Pleasantview Physiotherapy Clinic has helped countless patients recover from a variety of work-related injuries in Edmonton, AB. A workplace injury can affect your ability to perform your job or other daily tasks. Our workplace injury rehabilitation clinic makes sure you get the care you need to regain your strength, range of motion, and endurance after a workplace injury. Our trained and caring therapists will help you reach your optimal abilities so that you can return to work quickly. Learn more about the services we offer, and get in touch with us today to schedule an appointment.
What Is a Workplace Injury?
A workplace injury can be described as any injury or illness that was caused or worsened by your work environment or one that was directly associated with your job duties. Work-related injuries can be one-time accidents or gradual onsets of conditions. Workplace injuries are common, whether they’re caused by accidents or overuse. Workplace injuries can be very stressful because they interfere with the ability to do your job and earn a living. Many occupations can pose potentially hazardous scenarios, including construction, nursing, and law enforcement. Even office jobs can result in work-related accidents due to the stresses associated with sitting in the same position for an extended period. The constant movement of warehouse jobs is also a common cause of work-related injuries.
Common Workplace Injuries
There are many types of workplace injuries, with some being more common than others. Learn more about some common workplace injuries:
- Sprains & Strains – Many employees suffer sprains or strains in their tendons or ligaments. These injuries may occur from traumatic events like falling off a ladder or more common repetitive motions. Sprains or strains can also occur from the improper use of equipment. Our therapists can help to reduce or eliminate your pain from workplace injuries.
- Back Pain – As the most common work-related cause of pain, back pain can be caused by many work-related tasks. Long periods of inactivity from sitting at your desk all day can cause back pain. On the other hand, too much force on someone’s back caused by lifting heavy items repeatedly with the wrong body mechanics can also cause back pain. Injuries to the back are often caused by twisting or rotating the back the wrong way, especially when lifting.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Often caused by repetitive motions, carpal tunnel syndrome can occur when the wrist’s median nerve is compressed. One common cause of carpal tunnel is typing, while another is assembly line work. Harvard Health recommends seeking treatment for the carpal tunnel as soon as possible to avoid long-term damage to the nerves. Physiotherapy is an effective way to strengthen hand and wrist muscles and improve flexibility.
- Auto Accidents – If you drive or ride in a vehicle for work-related purposes, you always have a chance of being injured in an accident. Work-related auto accidents can cause several injuries, including broken bones, cuts and abrasions, and severe whiplash. Physical therapy is an effective method of recovering from a car accident. Therapy patients can experience reduced pain and inflammation and a restored range of motion.
- Tendinitis – Repetitive motion and the excessive overuse of body parts can lead to tendinitis. Common symptoms of this condition include pain, swelling, and tenderness. Tendinitis most commonly occurs in the elbows, knees, and shoulders. This condition is often effectively treated using physiotherapy.
Program Goals for Our Patients
While receiving treatment at Pleasantview Physiotherapy Clinic, we strive to ensure each patient gets personalized attention coupled with the extensive knowledge and training of our therapists. This combination of expertise and focus on the patient enhances our ability to lead them to recovery. We have multiple goals that we strive to achieve with every patient in the program, including helping you return to work early, encouraging you to actively and responsively participate in your rehabilitation, and providing optimal care for you by working closely with the Workers’ Compensation Board.
Components of Our Work Injury Program
The treatment you receive at Pleasantview Physiotherapy Clinic for a work-related injury commonly includes an exercise program tailored to your specific needs and conditions. We design them to achieve optimal endurance and strength, which is specific to your job requirements and individual needs. By maximizing your potential, we help you make the transition to a modified or regular work routine as quickly as possible. The components of our program for work-related injuries include reviewing the incident that led to your injury, taking a comprehensive history, performing a complete clinical assessment, reviewing available reports, and evaluating your functional disabilities concerning your work. We also establish a comprehensive rehabilitation protocol that may include any of the following: manual therapy, stretching, range-of-motion exercise, muscle strengthening, work-specific conditioning, general work conditioning, cardiovascular conditioning, and modified work-stimulation tasks.
Why Choose Us?
We know you have choices when it comes to physiotherapy programs in Edmonton. Our team provides personalized care for patients who have been injured in the workplace and can no longer perform their job or daily tasks. Please note that all claims from the patient must be approved by the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB), and Pleasantview Physiotherapy Clinic adheres to the WCB’s reporting standards. We offer physiotherapy, vestibular rehabilitation, orthotics, massage therapy, acupuncture, and much more. Contact us today to learn more or schedule an appointment.