Physiotherapy for Sprains & Strains in Edmonton, AB
Learn About Causes & Treatments for Sprains & Strains
If you’ve ever experienced a sprain or strain, you know how painful these conditions can be. Pleasantview Physiotherapy offers treatment for sprains and strains for our patients in Edmonton, AB. You don’t have to stumble through life because we can help you walk comfortably again. Learn more about what causes sprains, the symptoms of sprains and strains, treatment for sprains and strains, and more. Get in touch with us today to schedule an appointment.
Common Conditions Causing Foot & Ankle Pain
There are many reasons why you may have developed pain in your foot or ankle. Determining the cause of your pain is critical in helping our physiotherapists treat your sprain or strain. Learn more about some of the most common causes of foot and ankle pain:
- Arthritis – This common condition affects your joints and causes pain. Arthritis can impact anyone, and the foot and ankle joints are frequently affected. You may suffer from osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
- Tendinitis – This condition happens as a result of excessive overuse of your tendons which causes them to become inflamed. Tendinitis can worsen over time and become more painful if not treated.
- Fallen Arches – The foot contains many tendons that work together to form an arch. If your tendons do not pull together properly, your foot will not have a proper arch. A fallen arch or a flat foot can be painful.
- Strains & Sprains – Many patients confuse sprains and strains. Our physiotherapists are here to help you understand what sprains and strains are and how to treat them, so you get relief. Sprains happen when a ligament gets stretched too far or torn. Strains occur when a muscle or tendon gets stretched too far.
- Other Conditions – There are several other medical conditions that can cause foot and ankle pain, including tarsal tunnel syndrome, plantar fasciitis, fractures, bursitis, and more.
What’s Causing My Foot or Ankle Pain?
Your legs and ankles are very complex, and there are many reasons why you may be in pain. Foot and ankle pain can happen suddenly if you suffer an acute injury. Pain can also develop over time because of the chronic underlying conditions previously mentioned. The human foot contains about a dozen bones, more than 100 muscles, 30 joints, and ligaments and tendons. Our physiotherapists will diagnose your foot or ankle pain and treat your sprain or strain effectively to help you get relief from your pain. Sprains are often the result of sudden force or twisting motion during activity. You may experience swelling, bruising, tenderness, or difficulty moving your joint. Strains are caused by a very forceful contraction of your muscle or a sudden stretching force and can cause pain, tenderness, swelling, and difficulty moving your involved muscle. Sprains and strains are graded 1, 2, or 3 depending on their severity:
- Grade 1 injuries are the least severe, with up to 10% of a muscle’s fibers or the ligament being damaged.
- Grade 2 injuries vary considerably, with between 10 and 90% of fibers torn
- Grade 3 injuries are generally a complete rupture of the muscle or the tendon
How Pleasantview Physiotherapy Can Help
Our therapists will assess your injury and educate you about the nature of your condition. Our goals are to develop a treatment program for your sprain or strain that will help you return to full function as quickly and safely as possible. We have many years of experience treating these conditions, and our clinic is fully equipped to meet your rehabilitation needs. Some of the treatments available to treat strains and sprains include:
- Patient Education – We believe that patient education is the most important aspect of recovery. Educating our patients in Edmonton about the nature of their conditions and the scope of treatment allows them to fully participate in their rehab process.
- Manual Therapy – This includes soft tissue massage, mobilizations, and manipulations. Manual therapy is very successful in reducing pain and restoring joint function.
- Exercise Programs – Our programs are tailor-made for each individual condition. Our patients can remain active after their injuries and participate fully in their recoveries to prevent chronic pain due to stiffness.
- Electrical Modalities – We use a variety of treatments to help our patients return to their normal daily activities by decreasing pain and tissue inflammation. Electrical modalities we use include Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS), Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS), Interferential Current Ultrasound (IFC), and low-power laser treatment.
- Massage Therapy – Effective relief of pain, spasms, and stiffness can be achieved through massage therapy.
- IMS & Acupuncture – These treatments can be very effective in reducing the symptoms of pain, spasms, and stiffness.
Why Choose Our Physiotherapists?
If you or a loved one live with foot and ankle pain, we can help. Our physiotherapist will conduct a thorough assessment to discover the source of your pain and then tailor a customized treatment plan for you. Our passionate and skilled team wants to help you get relief from your pain and treat your sprain or strain. Contact us today to get started by scheduling an appointment.